Workshop I

Friday, November 13, 2009
Bismillahirrahmanirrahim…..

when i started to edit paper my mind suddenly remember about the things I gone through today. Start from today until next two days, my weekend will be full with workshopSSSsss. Since several months sitting in front of computer, maximized the brain function as much as possible. Actually, computer is my bestEST friend every day, every night and so on.

One day, two workshops. One for “Guide to thesis writing” and another one for “Scientific writing”.

Everything is writing now, wherever I go, whenever I think, my mind always remind me….”finished up your thesis!!!!”….”make correction to your paper!!!”…and the heart starts screaming…”Aaaarrrghhh…!!!”…oh no!~ again. But, never mind, life must go on. Writing is writing, Farmville must!..huhu~ really addicted to this game.

Then, for the next two days is “The Viva”..whoever read this (or knew this/or heard this) must said, “she’s going to finish her master”..dont just stop until that sentence, please continue…”Ya Allah, please make it easier for her..” (Ok, thank you very much!)

Without further due, im going to share with you about the input I got from the workshops.

“Guide to Thesis Writing”

First of all, for UPM student, you all can get the booklet of “guide to thesis writing” from SGS @ GSO, with RM 5, but actually, GSO has given to us during our oath taking ceremony or during registration. For me, I don’t know where I put it..hehe…=P

Everything you can get from that book.

What’s very interesting was, the result of our examination after Viva Voce (pronounciation = vai-va vo-sei). I’m sure a lot student don’t really know about this, we only know…the result either accepted, accepted with minor correction and accepted with major correction, or fail. That’s it. Actually there are 7 level of grade:

i-accepted with distinction…(the supervisor will get appreciation letter from GSO, stating that “Congratulations!, your student has been successfully fulfilled the master@PhD requirement with excellent performance”..something like that~

ii- Accepted with minor..meaning that your work is good but you have to edit somewhere in your thesis due to typo or grammatical error. You’re given 30 days to finish it.

iii- Accepted with major…means that your thesis need to add some more literature or data which do not require you to do work in the lab, for this result you are given 60 days.

iv- Re-Viva (re-oral, re-present)…this may be the examiner did not satisfy with your presentation and want to make it one more.

v- Resubmitted..u need to reorganize your thesis accordingly, for this result you may need to do some work in the lab to add in data which is lack in your thesis, all depends on what suggested by the examiner.

vi-Down-grade (from PhD to Master)…if master???...think bout it

vii- Fail...

I just pick this matter up, just because when I explained a bit what I got from the workshop to my colleague, they are very interested to know about this.

In the afternoon, I attended “scientific writing workshop” hold by IBS, my institute. I cant attend the most important session of this workshop (which is in the morning) because I attended the GSO workshop. Because both need to register first, I registered both in order to not to take a risk, where, if I just register for only one of it, it might be a possibility that I may not be chosen. Back to the scientific writing workshop, the afternoon session was more on the common topic that all th scientific writing workshop have; the impact factor, age index, etc..and a few part of manuscript such as supplementary element, corresponding author..etc. Deep in my heart I want to attend this full workshop, because the presenters was one of the editor @ reviewer of citation index journal, and…..they are microbiologist! (Why?..their thought might related to my field).What can I do?.....emmm..just try to get what they’re returned in the afternoon session.


(edit 14th Nov 09)

0 comments: